Cookies: we use as few as possible
We’d like to keep our website cookie-free, but it helps business owners like us to use Google Analytics (our only cookies) to track visitor numbers and actions.
Like most websites today, our website uses Google Analytics to provide useful information on what visitors do when they come to our website. Google Analytics uses ‘cookies’. Cookies are not sinister – they are simply tiny files, placed on your computer by your browser, to help us provide a better service. This helps us to understand things such as how many people visit the various parts of our website.
Our cookies do not identify you personally. If we need to do this (such as when asking you to sign up for a newsletter) we are always upfront about it. We make it clear not only when we collect personal information but also what we intend to do with it.
Why are we telling you this?
You can control cookies using your browser
If you don’t want your browser to download cookies you can easily opt out. Typically, your Web browser software will allow you to control cookies through its settings. For details on how to do this, please refer to the browser’s help files or the manufacturer’s support pages.
Our website uses Google Analytics for tracking and reporting of site performance. This does not personally identify you – it just helps us understand which parts of our website people like the most. This enables us to make our website better. The kind of information we see includes:
- the number of visitors at any given time.
- how many pages each visitor viewed and which ones.
- how much time visitors spent on each page.
- whether visitors are new or returning.
- whether visitors come to our website and immediately leave.
- how long a visitor spends on our website.
- the geographic location of the visitor (for example, the United Kingdom).
- what type of device the visitor is using (for example, desktop or mobile phone).
- whether the visitor came directly to our website or if the visitor came via a link from another website (including a search engine).
While this information isn’t essential to our business, it is extremely valuable in terms of providing the right content for visitors. However, you can opt out here.